Preferred Drug Lists
In recent years, drug costs have increased dramatically. At Paramount, we understand that it can be frustrating and difficult to pay for high-priced medications. It’s also frustrating to know that costly medications aren’t always the best ones. Though many factors can influence the cost of drugs, high price doesn’t always mean high quality.
Faced with the challenge of bringing costs down as much as possible to our employers and members while giving our physicians the freedom to prescribe the most appropriate drugs, we have developed the Four-Tier Preferred Drug prescription benefit. Our Preferred Drug prescription benefit features the following copay structure:
- Generic drugs at the lowest copay
- Preferred brand name drugs at a mid-level copay
- Non-preferred brand name drugs at a higher brand copay
- Multi-Source brand name drugs at the highest copay
What does this four-tier copay structure mean? As a member, when you buy generic or preferred brand name products, you are assured the lowest applicable copay. You can also be assured that generic and preferred drugs are of the highest quality. Preferred drugs are selected brand name medications that are periodically reviewed and updated by a committee of physicians, pharmacists and other allied health professionals (the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Working Group). This group’s job is to make sure that our preferred drugs are of the highest level of clinical efficacy and cost effectiveness.
In our structure, you still get coverage for non-preferred brand name, multi-source brand name, and specialty medications, but your copay will be higher. The result? A plan that offers low costs without sacrificing choices.
- 2013 Commercial Preferred Drug List (effective Jan. 1, 2013)
- 2014 Commercial Preferred Drug List (effective Jan. 1, 2014)
- 2013 Preventive Drug List for CDHP only (effective Jan. 1, 2013)
- Paramount Advantage (Medicaid) Preferred Drug List
If you have questions about your prescription benefit, just call Paramount's Member Services Department at 419-887-2525 or 800-462-3589. TTY users can call 419-887-2526 or 800-740-5670 toll-free.